Ready to make the most of summer in Kendal? Come rain or shine, here’s our checklist of eight ways to spend a summer in style…
1. If you are after a new wardrobe, and one that includes shoes, bags, hats and outfits for all occasions, head to Maya Maya for some scorching deals. And their hottest summer offers are for men too, with a great selection of designer wear that’s just a little different to the rest of the high street.
2. Or why not sort your summer wardrobe out at Crew Clothing with their ‘Sun, Sea and Colour’ collection? Included in their ‘longer days, shorter lengths’ styles are some fab men’s short and cropped, women’s skinny jeans in colours inspired by the coast and country. You could get your order delivered to their Kendal store giving you more time to work through our top eight things to do this summer in Kendal.
3. If you want some indoor inspiration, Armstrong Ward is a rare find in Kendal. It’s stocked with well-known brands like Emma Bridgewater, Cath Kidston, Neom Organics and John Sankey furniture. Alongside carefully curated homewares and gifts, you’ll find delightful well-made toys starting at 50p, so it’s a great place to spend pocket money too. Revisit the heady days of the seventies with some their latest offerings on the ground floor, all of which can be surveyed from the café (once you have taken your eye of their showstopper cakes). With a toy corner and a large pram-friendly loo, this is a good destination for those with youngsters.
4. Joining the list of locally-loved independents in Wainwright’s Yard is La Maison, a delightful lifestyle store selling home accessories, jewellery, mirrors and oak furniture. They also have a great collection of ‘for-ever’ flowers by Parlane – and their selection of cards will ensure that you leave with a great selection of greetings cards for all occasions.
Our town has a wonderful choice of places to eat, from brunch in a cosy café to early evening tapas and fine dining. In Wainwright’s Yard in Kendal there’s a great foodie scene which continues to evolve and grow.
5. Since opening in Kendal in 2007, Pizza Express has established itself as one of THE places to eat in the town. Check the website for offers – on a sunny summer’s afternoon or still evening there’s a terrace for al fresco dining.
6. In the Armstrong Ward café you will find comforting bowls of soup, fine sandwiches and homemade cakes. Once you have finished you can wander the shop floor for great gifts and home buys.
7. Salad days are definitely here with the arrival of Pomegranate and Sage, a deli and cafe in Wainwright’s Yard, Kendal, offering a range of salads, soups, hot dishes and cake to eat in or take away. You can choose from a range of menu deli boxes or make up your own from the selection of cold meats, cheeses and falafel.
8. Sip on a fruity iced cooler or choose from an extensive and exciting range of gins in the very cool Slate Bar. It’s a destination of choice, even on the days when the sun isn’t shining when you can tuck into a toastie at lunchtime or enjoy a latte with friends.