We can’t resist an in-season twist for Pancake Day in Kendal. Booths supermarket has the most delicious recipe in their free in-store magazine, and all it takes to make them ‘next level’ is the zest of two lemons grown in Almafi, some blueberries and a generous dollop of Greek yoghurt, all of which you can pick up in their Wainwright’s Yard store. Try it this Tuesday!
Pancakes with Amalfi lemon sauce, blueberries and Greek yoghurt
For the pancakes:
110g self-raising flour,
75g caster sugar,
1 tsp baking powder,
2 tbsp poppy seeds,
Zest of 2 Amalfi Lemons,
2 egg whites,
A little butter for frying.
For the Amalfi lemon sauce:
100g lemon curd,
2 Amalfi Lemons, juiced.
4 tbsp Greek yoghurt.
1. For the pancakes, place the dry ingredients into a bowl. Add the zest from the 2 lemons, mix well.
2. Slowly add the milk, whisking all the time to prevent clumps.
3. In a separate bowl whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks. Fold the whisked egg whites into the pancake mix.
4. Heat a little butter over a medium heat in a frying pan. Using approximately 1/4 cup of pancake mix per pancake. Fry the pancakes for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Repeat to use all of the mix.
5. To make the sauce, place the lemon curd into a small saucepan. Add the juice from the two Amalfi lemons, mix well and warm over a medium heat until smooth.
6. To serve, stack the pancakes and drizzle with the warm sauce, decorate with blueberries and finish with a dollop of Greek yoghurt.
CHEF’S TIP: As an alternative, add a tablespoon of cocoa powder to the mix and a handful of chocolate chips and serve with a drizzle of chocolate sauce. Or add a teaspoon of cinnamon to the mix and serve with warmed frozen mixed berries.
About Amalfi lemons at Booths supermarket:
Cultivated on the terraces along the Italian Amalfi Coast, they are harvested by hand and carried on the shoulders of local workers through the steep staircases that meander the terraced gardens. Large and fragrant, sweet and juicy with distinctively thick and wrinkled skin, seasonal Amalfi lemons are now in store (£5/kg, while stocks last).